Saturday 16 January 2016

January 14th - A morning at Attenborough

I decide to take another morning off work, with the aim of giving the year list a much needed boost.  I get an early train from Nottingham station, treating myself to a Froffee from the ATM Coffee Bar.  The train is delayed and scuppers my chances of bagging a Tawny Owl near the Delta but never mind.

I make my way through the village and once on the reserve I connect with a Cetti's Warbler, which is singing near Tween pond viewing screen in the half light.  

Making my way around Clifton Pit, I soon begin to add more year ticks, with Little Grebe, Goldeneye and Wigeon under my belt.

A Blue Tit near the wet marsh is doing its best to sound like a Willow Tit, as a few Fieldfares fly downstream.  

I hear another Cetti's and check out main pond, but it's remarkably quiet. There's some activity on the Delta bird table, including a nice male Bullfinch that I fail to photograph.  

On works pit, I get five Goosanders and a drake and juvenile Shelduck - another new one for the year, but there's no exposed mud for the anticipated Lapwings.

Common Shelduck


With one eye on the clock I press on to the reserve centre and fail to see the Mandarin. Checking Tween pond again and missing Kingfisher, I get the bonus of a perched up Common Buzzard, although with the light all wrong it's a poor record shot, but a nice bird all the same.

Common Buzzard











No comments:

Post a Comment