Friday 8 January 2016

January 3rd, 2016 - A spot of luck

First trip to Wollaton Park.   I'm hoping to add Wigeon to the year list, but have to make do with Gadwall and Pochard, which were guaranteed.  I'd had a Wigeon here on Boxing Day, but to be fair they are more of an autumn species here.

As I'm scanning the ducks, seven Goosander fly in and immediately divide into two groups; five heading for the reed bed end and two - a drake and redhead preferring the island area.   To my surprise the drake begins to swim towards me, diving intermittently, as well as sifting the surface.

Camera at the ready I hide behind a tree and reel off a few photos.  It's the closest I've ever been to a Goosander and in the bins, the feather detail is remarkable.  What a beautiful bird.

I enjoy this rare spectacle and then bag a pair of Red-crested Pochards before heading home to begin inputting the December 15 Notts data.

drake Goosander

Red-crested Pochards

No comments:

Post a Comment