Wednesday, 30 March 2016

March 30th, 2016 - A schedule one morning

It's the first of two days off and I'm out early and on the train again.  I purchase my tickets at Nottingham Station and grab a bacon and cheese slice and coffee, as I wait for the clock to tick round to 7am.

I'm soon trundling along the line and alight after a few stops in the company of Norman Hayes, who had jumped on after me.  We start birding straight away, listening to Sky Larks and Yellowhammers and I see a crest briefly, as it flies across the path.

We begin scoping the water and count at least 15 Common Snipe around the edge, before Norman picks out the first Black-necked Grebe of the morning.  This beautiful and rare breeding bird has established a small population in the county and we're so lucky to have them.  I have a go at digiscoping, but it's a lot harder than I thought.  I get one record shot, but it's not that good, because of the early light.  I'll have to come back at a later time.

Black-necked Grebe

We position ourselves at a good vantage point and meet up with a regular observer at the site.  There's plenty of Meadow Pipits moving and a few Pied Wagtails.  Norman says he's got a wheater and we scope the area where he's looking and sure enough, we see a nice female Northern Wheatear on the far side of the pit.

As we continue to log the mippits, my friend gets on to a Swallow and we watch it move through the site.  This bird certainly lives up to the adage of not making a summer, as my hands begin to feel like I've got frost bite in the bitter winds.

All too soon, I have to walk back to get my train, but pause for a while to watch a pair of Little Ringed Plover.  Again, I manage a record shot, before heading back to the station

Little Ringed Plover

Arriving back in Nottingham, I check out the Newton Building and a Peregrine is perched on a ledge.  Thinking it's not a day for photos and it's way up high, I simply enjoy the bird, before getting my bus home.

No comments:

Post a Comment